The evidence around raw milk
CLARIFICATION: Since its original publication, this article has been updated with the addition of an editor's note (below) and a paragraph (the 7th) that points out differences in the extent to which supermarket milk is typically heat treated, and explains the statistical results in the Gabriela study. Also, the phrase "most whey proteins.. don't survive pasteurization", has been more precisely restated as "activities of most whey proteins... are substantially reduced by high heat treatment".
EDITOR'S NOTE: While there is now some evidence that uncontaminated raw milk may protect young children from developing allergies and asthma, is that benefit worth the risks? More studies are needed to determine the benefits of raw milk consumption and how those benefits can be retained with milk processing techniques that minimize pathogen risk. Until more is known, the researchers interviewed for this article do not recommend the consumption of raw milk.
1. Langer AJ, Ayers T, Grass J, Lynch M, Angulo FJ, Mahon BE. (2012) Nonpasteurized dairy products, disease outbreaks, and state laws-United States, 1993-2006. Emerg Infect Dis. 18: 385-391.
2. Loss G, Apprich S, Waser M, Kneifel W, Genuneit J, Buchele G, Weber J et al. (2011) The protective effect of farm milk consumption on childhood asthma and atopy: The Gabriela study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 128: 766-773.
3. Loss G , Bitter S, Wohlgensinger J, Frei R, Roduit C, Genuneit J, Pekkanen J et al. (2012) Prenatal and early-life exposures alter expression of innate immunity genes: The PASTURE cohort study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 130: 523-530.
4. van Neerven RJ, Knol EF, Heck JM, Savelkoul HF. (2012) Which factors in raw cow’s milk contribute to protection against allergies? J Allergy Clin Immunol. In press.
5. den Hartog G, Savelkoul HF, Schoemaker R, Tijhaar E, Westphal AH, de Ruiter T, van de Weg-Schrijver, van Neerven RJ. (2011) Modulation of human immune responses by bovine interleukin-10. PLoS One. 6:e18188.
Are you subscribed to our email newsletter?